I have worked at Sheffield Hallam University since 2006, and in the past I have also worked at Lincoln University and Chesterfield College. In that time I’ve taught a wide range of media and communication-related modules. I am currently Programme Leader for undergraduate degrees in Journalism, Media, Public Relations, Public Relations and Media and eCommunications, overseeing curriculum and delivery on these courses. I also act as an external examiner at Keele and Canterbury Christ Church universities.
Although I have oversight of all modules within the SHU undergraduate Communications programme, I personally teach on the following undergraduate modules:
- Media Audiences
- Media, Identities and Representations
- Celebrity Culture
- Applied Project/Dissertation
I supervise two PhD students at present:
- Fahd Alsolamy (Director of Studies): Social Media in Saudi Universities
- Annie Watson (Second Supervisor): Women in Documentary Film Making
PhD students supervised to completion:
- Kurniawan Saputro (as second supervisor): Responses to the Mount Merapi Disaster (awarded 2014).
I am interested in supervising student work on areas including religion and the media, internet cultures, social media, media audiences, fan studies, gaming cultures, media representations of gender, race, sexuality, disability, religion, class or nationality, notions of Britishness, soap opera and drama, cult media, celebrity culture or factual television.