I have worked at Sheffield Hallam University since 2006, and in the past I have also worked at Lincoln University and Chesterfield College. In that time I’ve taught a wide range of media and communication-related modules. I have also had external examiner roles at Canterbury Christ Church and Keele universities.
I personally teach on the following undergraduate and postgraduate modules:
- Media Audiences (L4)
- Media, Identities and Representations (L5)
- Celebrity Culture (L5/6)
- Applied Project/Dissertation (L6)
- Audience Research (L7)
- Media Theories (L7)
- Dissertation (L7)
Current PhD students:
- Kathryn Murphy (DoS): YouTube Celebrity
- Annie Watson (DoS): Adaptation and gender in filmmaking
- Lewis Kellett (Second Supervisor): Gender, youth and social realist cinema
PhD students supervised to completion:
- Kurniawan Saputro (as second supervisor): Responses to the Mount Merapi Disaster (awarded 2014).
- Fahd Alsolamy (Director of Studies): Social Media in Saudi Universities (awarded 2016).
I am interested in supervising or examining PhD/MPhil student work on areas including religion and the media, internet cultures, social media, media audiences, fan studies, gaming cultures, media representations of gender, race, sexuality, disability, religion, class or nationality, notions of Britishness, soap opera and drama, cult media, celebrity culture or factual television.