I have worked at Sheffield Hallam University since 2006, and in the past I have also worked at Lincoln University and Chesterfield College. In that time I’ve taught a wide range of media and communication-related modules. I also act as an external examiner at Canterbury Christ Church University, and have previously externalled at Keele.
I personally teach on the following undergraduate modules:
- Media Audiences
- Media, Identities and Representations
- Celebrity Culture
- Applied Project/Dissertation
Current PhD students:
- Kathryn Murphy (DoS): YouTube Celebrity
- Annie Watson (DoS): Women in Documentary Film Making
PhD students supervised to completion:
- Kurniawan Saputro (as second supervisor): Responses to the Mount Merapi Disaster (awarded 2014).
- Fahd Alsolamy (Director of Studies): Social Media in Saudi Universities (awarded 2016).
I am interested in supervising or examining student work on areas including religion and the media, internet cultures, social media, media audiences, fan studies, gaming cultures, media representations of gender, race, sexuality, disability, religion, class or nationality, notions of Britishness, soap opera and drama, cult media, celebrity culture or factual television.